Journal of Capt. Constant Williams, Carroll Trail to Camp Lewis 1874

Steve F. Russell

In April and May of 1874, Captain Constant Williams (commanding) and members of Company F of the 7th U.S. Infantry, traveled from Fort Shaw, via Helena, to establish a military post named Camp Lewis along the Carroll Trail. This military post was established for the protection of travelers of the Carroll Trail from Carroll Landing, on the Missouri River to Helena. Acting-Assistant Surgeon C. H. Hart, who, in his monthly report from Camp Lewis, Montana Territory, for July, 1875, notes the deaths, on July 7, of 3 privates of the Seventh Infantry, from shot-wounds from hostile Indians.

Permalink - Topic: Carroll Road - Tag: Journal

« Lewis And Clark Over Lost Trail Pass - Virginia City And Lewiston Wagon Road Microfilm Records 1865-1870 »

Related content